Monday, 1 August 2011

The Dawn Prayer (du'a al-sahar) or Prayer of Splendour (du'a al-baha')

The following below is considered the most cherished prayer and recitation by Shi'a Muslims during the holy month of Ramaḍán. It is a prayer by the 5th Imám Muhammad al-Báqir (as). I have previously dealt with this prayer in another setting, see here.


1. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Splendour at its Most Splendid  for all Thy Splendour is truly Splendorous. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Splendour. 2. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Beauty at its Most Beautiful for all Thy Beauty is truly Beauteous. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Beauty. 3. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Majesty at its Most Majestic for all of Thy Majesties are truly Magisterial. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Majesty. 4. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Might at its Supreme Mightiness for all Thy Might is truly Mighty. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Might. 5. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Light at its utmost Resplendence for the whole of Thy Light is truly Luminous. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Light. 6. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Mercy at its vastness  for all of Thy Mercy is truly Vast. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Mercy. 7. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Words at their most Complete for all Thy Words are truly Complete. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the totality of Thy Words. 8. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Perfection at its absolute Perfection for Thy Perfections are truly Perfect. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the completeness of Thy Perfection. 9. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Names by virtue of their supreme Greatness for all Thy Names are truly Great. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the totality of Thy Names. 10. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Grandeur at its utmost Grandness for all of Thy Grandeur is truly Grandiose. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the fullness of Thy Grandeur. 11. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Will at its most Conclusive for all of Thy Will is truly Conclusive. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the totality of Thy Will. 12. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Power through the Power of which Thou hath overshadoweth all things for all of Thy Power is truly All-Subduing. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the fullness of Thy Power. 13. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Knowledge at its most acute for all of Thy Knowledge is truly Penetrating. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Knowledge. 14. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Speech at its most Delightful for all Thy Speech is especially Pleasing. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Speech. 15. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Concerns which are most Beloved of Thee for all of Thy Concerns are truly beloved. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thine Concerns. 16. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by thy Honor which is most Honorable, for all of Thine Honor is truly Honored. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thine Honor. 17. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Sovereignty at its most Permanent for the whole of Thy Dominion is truly Enduring. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the absoluteness of Thy Sovereignty. 18. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Dominion at its most Magnificent for the whole of Thy Dominion is truly Excellent. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Dominion. 19. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Sublimity at its Utmost Supremity for the whole of Thy Sublimity is truly Lofty. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the fullness of Thy Sublimity. 20. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Benevolence at its Most Immemorial for the totality of Thy Benevolence is truly Pre-Existent. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the whole of Thy Benevolence. 21. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by Thy Versical-Signs at their Most Distinguished for all Thy Versical-Signs are truly Precious. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by the totality of Thy Versical-Signs. 22. O my God! I verily beseech Thee by that whereby Thou hast Standing and Omnipotence and by virtue of every single quality and unitary dimension of Empyrean Power. 23. O my God! I verily beseech Thee that Thou answer me at the very moment I request of Thee! Wherefore do Thou answer me, O my God!